Thursday, September 30, 2021

Am I Being Spied Upon?

 Before my wife came out to join me on the porch for our morning coffee, I was just listening to some New Age music through my Amazon Dot.  Most mornings, It's our favorite time to just sit and chat.

 That is until the road noise from over a mile away ruined the moment.  I told Alexa to 'stop music,' which she did.     

I mentioned to Sweetie that sometimes I wish I could tune out the distant highway noise, especially from people who think noisy mufflers are a really good way to show how cool they are.  It was really annoying.

I mentioned a friend in Florida who used hearing aids because he was deaf in both ears.  He used to tell me he would turn his hearing aids off if the noise bothered him.  We briefly discussed hearing aids and that was it. 

The moment now ruined by unnecessary noise, we retreated inside to the quiet of our house.

After breakfast, I opened my computer's home screen and there was an advertisement for Boise Hearing Aids.  Not only that but it addressed some of what we talked about earlier.

This kind of advertising isn't new to me because we were looking for a new stove not long ago and each time we searched for stoves, we would suddenly get a lot of stove advertisements.

Or if I was looking to buy a wheelbarrow by clicking on Lowes, I would soon be getting wheelbarrow advertisements.  The same with ladders.  And so on.

But this thing with the hearing aids seemed to be actually tailored to our discussion about noise and hearing aids.  Their advertisement even had a test and video example that completely addressed one of my major issues with noise - I can't separate everyone else's conversation and noise from the person I'm trying to listen to.

I'm not even sure I'm upset about it because, after the recent power outage, I began searching for and comparing whole house generators, and since we are up in age and live in an over 55 community, we are accustomed to worrying about power outages, if for no other reason than the inconvenience and discomfort an outage can cause.  But what if I needed a medical device that required reliable non-stop electrical power, would a standard home generator provide the kind of power and peace of mind I really need?

A few minutes later a really nice, well-spoken guy popped up on my screen addressing those specific concerns.  I really had never given it much thought before but at 80 years of age and recent heart bypass surgery, I may want to pay close attention to this guy.  I'm glad I did because he mentioned relatively inexpensive products that could be added to my current or emergency electrical power supply that would automatically kick in the split second the power went out. 

Now, as a result of creative advertising, I may be able to protect myself and my wife even better.

So, after all that, I guess I really can't be angry at being listened to by an electronic device that has my best interest in mind.

This new reality we live in is something, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Keep Going and Going and Going, Just Not Driving

 Yesterday, my Sweetie drove me to the driver's license office to submit the properly completed form saying my optometrist examined me a...